Thursday, May 31, 2007

Coping Skills, Confessions and Recommendations


Working with the delinquent youth population has added a variety of words to my vocabulary (and no I don't mean just the 4 letter ones), treatment "shop talk" if you will. One of the terms I have learned is coping skills. You may be familiar with this term. Basically coping skills are the things that you do when you are having a hard time. They are used to "cope" with difficult situations so that you don't do something stupid. In evaluating my life I have determined that my coping skills are:

1. Reading
2. Watching television
3. Going out with friends
4. Listening to loud music while I drive
5. Going on vacation.

I probably have more than this but these are the most frequently used of my coping skills. As for my confessions, they are all strangely related to my coping skills.

1. I will read rather than sleep even if I am exhausted as long as the book is good.
2. I probably watch too much TV but not more than most people.
3. I am not as social as I want to be.
4. I listen to my music too loud and probably drive too fast (but not as fast as Natalie!).
5. I used student loan money to travel in college.

Now for recommendations, in case you need to borrow one of my coping skills.

1. I have recently read the entire Anne of Green Gables series (again), The Historian and The Bookseller of Kabul. All great reads!


2. I love LOST, Grey's Anatomy, Law & Order SVU, anything on the Travel or History Channel and reruns of Friends and Sex & The City.
3. Go to institute?
4. Try Dave Matthews, Dashboard Confessional, All American Rejects, Show tunes (anything you can sing-a-long to), or try FM100 for some relaxing soft rock.
5. Costa Rica and Cancun are cheap and amazing, Hawaii has great sunsets and big waves and even if you only have a couple of days and you're short on cash, take a vacation!

No comments: