Saturday, March 10, 2007

Vacation

I am going to Hawaii on Thursday. When I have told people I have received both positive and negative reactions including, "Oh, how fun," "You are so lucky," "You suck, that's not fair," and "I wish I could go on vacation!" I have made vacation and traveling a priority in my life and I realize that I am lucky to be able to do so. However, anyone working full time is likely earning vacation hours and I am shocked to discover how many of those people save them up and have them paid out when they get to their maximum. What is that all about? To me, vacation is worth its weight in gold, nothing could persuade me that the lousy blank dollars an hour is more valuable than a few days off. I know everyone cannot go to Hawaii when they take time off but how about taking a few days when your kids have a break from school, or a long weekend to work on your house, or even, funds permitting, going somewhere you have never been before! Camp, stay in a hotel, spend a week on the couch watching Ellen and other shows you never get to watch but wish you could. Don't tell me,"I can't take vacation" because you can. Your company can survive without you for a couple of days and even if you have a lot of work that piles up while you are gone, you will be refreshed enough when you get back to tackle it. So for all of you naysayers and workaholics, you are loosing the argument (of course I have made it a little one sided). If you are a workaholic, don't blame me for working to live not living to work. I love my job and I love to vacation, it keeps me sane!

No comments: