Monday, March 19, 2007

Sunsets and Big Waves




How did you spend your Sunday afternoon? I went up to the northwest coast of Oahu to see big waves and watch the sunset. We drove up past Makaha, the famous surfing beach, and parked where the paved road ends. We thought we would be able to walk all the way out to Ka'ena Point but we found ourselves awestruck but the amazing big waves. WOW! We didn't make it very far because we kept stopping to take pictures, Jessie and Brian using their super high tech fancy cameras and me with my brand new point and shoot digital (I'm so proud). We all got some amazing pictures but nothing to compare to the reality of enormous waves crashing up against fields of lava rock. The sunset was also beautiful, we have watched it every night. It is fun to watch it slide past the horizon, knowing it is still high in the sky above Brandon in Samoa!



Other fun things...On Saturday we Kayaked out to this island and it was really hard and far. I was getting tired because we were rowing against the wind and the current (and lets be honest, I'm out of shape). I kept saying a little prayer that the wind would calm down a little but it didn't. I had to laugh because after about my third prayer we came across a six pack of coke floating in the water. It was funny because I realized that Heavenly Father wants to challenge us so he won't always make things easier but he will help us to be stronger, even if that means sending us a can of coke full of caffeine for energy. It was His little way of saying, "you can do it Hilary!" And I did do it. I know it was an answer to my prayer because it could have just as easily been six pack of Dr. Pepper which I hate, or even beer, yuck! But God knows I love my Coke! We made it all the way there with the wind blowing like crazy in our faces and salt water making the sun screen run into our eyes. The way back was easier and I thought I would be really sore the next day but I wasn't at all. Tender mercies.


Well, I am having more fun than I deserve but I am loving every minute of it. Aloha!

No comments: