Tuesday, March 27, 2007

What is this...?

I am the kind of person that blushes easily, embarrassed or not. In this particular case my rosy cheeks were accompanied by pure mortification. Let me explain. While in Hawaii we stayed at the home of a friend of Jessie's from High School named Brian. Brian works as a production assistant for a dance company on Oahu. We spent a lot of time with Brian and had the opportunity to meet his boyfriend Mike and best friend Steven. All of them are handsome and tons of fun, just unfortunately for Jessie and me, not attracted to women. One night Mike was hanging out with us at Brian's house and we had thrown in some laundry. Mike was pulling it out of the dryer and folding it when he grabbed something out of the pile and indiscreetly flung it around inquiring, "what is this, does anybody know what this is?" You can imagine my embarrassment upon realizing that it was the padding that goes in the bra part of my swimming suit, cue bright red cheeks and humiliation.

Now let me talk about this little pad for a second. They are a necessary evil in my opinion, they make it so that you are not making an announcement when the water is cold if you know what I mean. I have suits where they are sewn right into the fabric but this particular suit has small openings where they can be inserted and removed (apparently some women enjoy being human thermometers). This is a huge pain because they never stay where they are supposed to, tending to fold and move around often causing an unpleasant lumpy boob effect. We tolerate the strangest things for modesty and beauty's sake.

So, back to the inquiry...trying to contain my utter bewilderment, I quickly stuttered, "oh...oh, you can just put it back with the laundry, um, I'll fold it." Without even acknowledging my plea he quickly found the other stray pad and continued to flagrantly fling them around asking, "what are these?" I snatched one out of his eager little hands and said that it went to my swimsuit but he continued to ask, "well what are they?" Aaaahhhh...it was like a bad dream and it got worse. Brian came over in his curiosity and grabbed the other out of Mike's hand. At this point I had found my suit in the pile and was going to quietly take it into the bedroom to fix. That would have been way too easy. Brian began asking what they were for and how they went in and I had no polite option other than to show him. Together we determined which direction they went and inserted them back into their rightful location in the bust of my swimming suit and under the watchful eyes of Mike and Jessie. The icing on the cake was when I muttered under my breath, "how embarrassing" and Brian turned to me and said, "I glitter costumes for a living, don't worry about it." Thanks Brian!

No comments: