Monday, May 28, 2007

IKEA in Utah

Woohoo! Wednesday May 23rd IKEA had its grand opening in Draper.

Somebody had asked me if I had taken the day off so I could go, I think my response was, "are you crazy?" Apparently a lot of people were "crazy." Jessie left me a voicemail Wednesday morning on her way to work in Utah county as she drove by IKEA. She described the gigantic line surrounding the building and said only a crazy person would try to go today. I am all about the hype of a grand opening or the excitement of waiting in line for extended periods of time for something great. A couple of years ago I slept on the sidewalk outside of NBC studios so that I could get tickets to see Dave Matthews perform on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno. Totally worth it! I do not understand, however, the point of standing (camping) in line for 2 and a half days to be the first person in a store that will be around for a long time. Yeah they got a free chair (the chair worth less than $100, 2 days off work cost more than that) and a surprise coupon but seriously? The truth is, I couldn't wait long and I went on Thursday night with Jessie. I purchased some new dishes and silverware. Honestly, I will probably spend a portion of each paycheck there for a while, at least until I have everything I need for my new apartment. Hooray for IKEA!

No comments: