Thursday, October 16, 2008

Yeah, let me tell you about it.

Yesterday started off pretty lazy. I had to take Candice to the Long Beach Airport and once I got back, showered and decided to head to the beach it was lunch time and I still needed to buy sunscreen. No worries, I decided to take the PCH up past Malibu to a really great beach. I found a Target and a Jack in the Box on the way and though it took a bit longer than anticipated to get all the way up there it was well worth the drive.


I wanted to go see The Duchess and found a theater near the house that was showing it at 9:45. I changed my clothes, grabbed a quick bite and paid my $10.50 to see Keira Knightly in a variety of 30lb wigs.

When I got back, Charlie the cat was waiting for me in the driveway. I got in the front door and left it open for him while I set my stuff down. He is still a little leery of me so I walked back out to grab him and the front door closed behind me. I don't remember if the F word came out of my mouth or not but you wouldn't blame me if it had. Their front door locks automatically and I had just left the only key sitting on the entry table...I knew I was screwed.

If you've done the math you know it was around midnight at this point. Luckily the house across the street still had a few lights on. After trying all the doors about 3 times and doing pretty decent damage to one that seemed a possible break-in route, I walked sheepishly across the street hoping maybe Joanna left a key with one of the neighbors. No such luck. I used their phone, because of course mine was in the house next to my keys, and woke up my mom. To make a really long story blogable, Gloria (the caretaker of the old man who lives in the house across the street) let me make about 100 phone calls and eventually told me to go to bed in a spare room and worry about it in the morning. By the way...most of those calls were to locksmiths who advertised 24 hour emergency service (for about $200), I left at least 5 messages and didn't get a single call back. NICE!

While laying there fretting I remembered that Joanna's house keeper was scheduled to come between 8 and 10:30 the next morning, saved. I got up at 6:30 and headed back to Joanna's to sit on the porch and wait. Gloria sent me with a cup of tea and 3 papers had been delivered so at least I had entertainment. Marcie, Gloria's replacement, brought me toast and orange juice at about 10:15 and the housekeeper finally showed up a little after 11.

Now I am just tired, embarrassed and worried about how I am going to mend the door I shoved (with apparently a lot more aggression and adrenaline than I thought).

So, that is my vacation so far.

2 comments:

The Adams Family said...

I realize this is a sad story but I was kind of giggling... I hope that's okay. If it makes you feel better I am still jealous that you are in So CA.

Gatlin Gang said...

I am so laughing!