Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Romeo, Romeo...


Balcone di Giulietta
I have a picture similar to this that I purchased in Verona, Italy. It is hanging above my computer and tonight it got me thinking. I have heard that one must have their heart broken at least twice before they can find and know true love. I will admit that though I have loved deeply, my heart has never broken over unrequited love. Lucky? Well, uh...if it means I still have heartbreak (twice) ahead before I find true love...that sucks! Seriously, just one heartbreak was enought to make Romeo and Juliet take their own lives, and while I am no longer an irrational teenager, heartbreak doesn't sound like a picnic. I asked a friend tonight if she though this depressing theory held any water. I explained the various pains love has caused me and asked if they might just qualify, thus sparing inevitable heartbreak and possible suicide. She proceded in her wisdom to inquire about other incidents in my life and if my heart broke for any other kind of love. By these terms, my heart has broken dozens of times. She added that it is what a broken heart teaches you not what it does to you that makes you capable of and ready for true love. A broken heart teaches you empathy, compassion, humility, charity and most importantly, that you are strong enough to recover from it. I don't want my heart to break over a man but if it does, I'll be just fine.

2 comments:

Candace said...

Hooray! You are spectacular!! Great insight!
(PS- Romeo and Juliet were not the brightest bulbs...)

Darby said...

What about heart burn? How does this factor in?