Friday, October 5, 2007

Athens

We have been in Athens since Wednesday and it has been great. We seem to get lost all the time and tonight at dinner I was looking around and it clicked, I get it, I could get around Athens now if I needed to but we leave tomorrow. Pity! Really, Athens is a total maze despite the gigantic Acropolis as a landmark, it has never taken me so long to get my bearings.

think I mentioned in a previous blog that you are either a ruins person or you aren't. By that I mean that some people think ruins are cool, old and generally interesting to see. Those of us that are ruins people (some may find it cheesy) find ourselves walking in the footsteps of people who lived thousands of years ago. How could that not fascinate you? I find myself in awe at the magnificence of the columns and the detail in the sculpture. Maybe it is because I love history so much but I could spend hours sitting at a site just imagining what life looked like back then. When you think about it, America is so young. I have walked this week where Apostles of the Savior walked. I have been transported to a time when massive temples were built to honor Gods and where civilization was not so uncivilized as we often believe. I have loved every minute of it and must say again how lucky I feel!


I know you can look on google images and find pictures of all of these things, probably better pictures at that, but these are my pictures, proving I have been, seen and done amazing things. If
I could only get this excited about my everyday life...

1 comment:

jess said...

delinquent kids aren't exciting enough for you? you're rather be in old buildings?

o.k. so i'm so jealous!