Saturday, July 12, 2008

My neighbor

I just met one of my downstairs neighbors. He knocked on my door which was propped open about 4 inches on my chain to let in the cool air from the hallway (ghetto AC). He indicated that he was just outside talking "just talking" with his friends and someone had called the police. His accusing tone left no doubt in my mind that he thought that someone was me and the alcohol on his breath made me wonder if I should have even opened the door. I'm not gonna lie, I have called our landlord once to complain that he smokes outside my window despite several notices that there is no smoking within 30 ft. of the building. He is also known for playing music (bad music) with his band very loudly at inappropriate times (3am). Apparently I am not the only one who has complained because he informed me (not quietly but mellowly?) that he got a note on his door this week that said he had to be out in 3 days but that he had talked to our landlord and convinced him that he would be good until the end of the month. I empathized, nodded and practiced active listening while he explained, professed and accused. I told him I was very sorry, I had not called the police and was not currently bothered by his activities outside my window. He continued (not quietly) to explain that he wasn't even being loud (our halls echo terribly) and that he was just sitting outside talking with his friends. I think he thought I wasn't getting it so I told him again that I was sorry and offered to let him see my cell phone to check my call log. He declined and apologized and then talking more generally to the hallway than me he griped that someone was really f*$#ing with his life, there was no way he could move out in 3 days and now he was probably going to have to and that it is just so messed up that someone felt the need to f*$k with his life like that. At this point he indicated that he was from Philly and was just having a hard time adjusting to the Mormon culture here in Utah. Then I understood.

What I said:
"Yeah, I'm really sorry someone called the police. I just got home a few minutes ago and you weren't bothering me at all. So, good luck and I hope your night gets better."

What I thought:
Wow, you weren't bothering me before but now that you are standing in my doorway drunk and loud and smelly I kinda wish the cops would have arrested you. Apparently they don't teach people in Philly about manners and accountability. If you were so concerned about getting kicked out maybe you should have moved the talking to your friends place for the evening. And listen freak...If you were bothering someone it probably is some old person that you woke up not the mormon girl who just walked in and is wide awake and didn't even notice your existence until you knocked on her door to accuse and insult her. My advice to you, be sorry sooner next time and stop blaming the world dumb a**! Now will you go away, you're bugging me!

Some people!

2 comments:

Candace said...

Sorry. I'll try to keep Andy on a leash from now on.

Thanks for going to see WALL E with us!

Gatlin Gang said...

Why do people move to Utah, knowing full well it is full of mormons that they don't like! It probably wasn't even a mormon that called the cops. What a loser. He doesn't like mormons, because their lives are probably not as crappy as his right now. Choices buddy!