Friday, December 21, 2007

Spirit of Christmas...at work!


As shopping for Christmas gifts for 84 boys progressed, so had my level of frustration. I'll be honest, its a little hard to shop for gifts you most likely will only hear complaints about later. They aren't enough, the right ones, what I wanted, you fill in the blank! I just wish they knew how much I care, how much all of us who are working to provide a good Christmas for them, care! I want them to open something that will make them smile, that will make them for a moment forget that their life kinda sucks. I decided today that I wont mind if they complain, I still care. Here are some reasons why...

Today the boys put on their winter concert. One boy played the piano, very well I might add, our small choir sung Do-re-mi and Walking in a Winter Wonderland, then some of the boys exhibited their skills on the drums and other percussion instruments. They were all so amazing and I was so proud of them for their courage and effort! Our little cafeteria was crammed full of their peers (who can be brutal critics) and almost every single one of them watched in a respectful manner, surprising and pleasing all of the staff. It was one of those events that reminds me why I do what I do and that it is worth it.

This afternoon, Al reminded me about our first Christmas working at Benchmark. JoJo is one of our favorite boys and he has nobody. His life is a sad story and wont likely get much better. He has never received a Christmas gift from home and this particular year one of our other boys recognized this. He went around to each boy on the unit, taking up a collection. Each kid found something from their meagre possessions to contribute and presented it all to JoJo for Christmas.

And above all things have fervent charity among yourselves: for charity shall cover the multitude of sins. Use hospitality one to another without grudging. As every man hath received the gift, even so minister the same one to another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God. 1 Peter 4:8-10

But charity is the pure love of Christ, and it endureth forever; and whoso is found possessed of it at the last day, it shall be well with him. Moroni 7:47




1 comment:

Candace said...

I love it, Hilary. I feel so blessed that you are in the world. Thanks for making me remember those boys and reminding me how much I care...how much I have always cared. Merry Christmas.