Monday, December 10, 2007

Discovering domesticity?

You have to be careful because I would probably hit you if you called me a home-ec teacher. I do recreation therapy which provides a fun environment to learn therapeutic skills. In my class we cook, sew, create art, play games and generally engage in all things fun (and appropriate). While doing these various activities I encourage my boys to focus on things like team building, working together, following instructions, patience, social skills, etc. Watching individuals participate in recreation can tell you a lot about their personality!


While working on his square for the holiday quilt, one boy asked me, "why do you get mad when I call your class home-ec?" Pleased with his respectful tone I responded that it is because if I were a home-ec teacher I would be concerned about the quality of the stitch and the efficiency with which he completed his assignment (he didn't even finish and frankly, his looked like crap). However, because it is rec therapy I am more concerned with his ability to use patience while threading the needle (he used the 'F' word more than once in his attempts) and his ability to follow directions (he had to start over because after applying all his iron on glue he peeled it all off because he wasn't listening).

This is all beside the point. I am not a home-ec teacher. I am not particularly artsy, crafty or domestic. I have been blessed with creativity and the ability to do just about anything I put my mind to. So this year I have learned how to quilt, sew, cook various easy foods, make hats on a loom, narrate guided imagery, and a plethera of other domstic activities. You could probably even call me a domestic goddess! Through these skills I have learned the more important lessons of patients, kindness, being a good leader, being a good listener, being a good example, endurance, dealing with the unexpected, felxibility and masking frustration! Those are not skills you learn in home-ec!

This week I tied and finished the last 3 years worth of holiday quilts. I'm so proud!!!

(I've been hanging onto this blog so I could post pics too but I give up...they'll come later!)

2 comments:

Candace said...

What you provide for the boys is so much worthwhile than a crappy home-ec class. To hell with those teachers (who will remain nameless) who are condescending and prats. You are a super star!

Anonymous said...

Ghetto Superstar at that! I am so glad that someone did something with all of those quilts. You deserve a gold star...or just one of the quilts you finished will do. I hope that everyone knows the long hours of RECREATIONAL THERAPY love that was put into those.