Monday, March 17, 2008

Dreams for sale?

I discovered this week that I am guilty of selling dreams. I have never thought about it this way but I guess it is important for me to recognize an individuals limitations before I attempt to convince them or encourage them to try something that they will not be able to accomplish. I generally am aware of the potential (or lack thereof) our patients have but sometimes they grab hold of an idea, like going to college, and I always support any of their ambition...I'm just happy they have some!

A few weeks ago, one of our boys who is not the brightest bulb, decided he would like to go to college just like one of his brighter peers. Our principal of course indicated to him that it would be a lot of work and pointed him in the direction of the steps he should take. He quickly discovered that he was not capable, sad but true. He loudly accused Michelle in the hallway, "yo Michelle, you sold me a dream!" So for now...I am a realist not an optimist!


On a funnier note, my coworker recently changed one of our passwords from snowgirls to playtime and every time I have used it I have mistakenly put in playgirls...heehee!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Smartphone, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://smartphone-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Candace said...

I am so sad to see that my optimistic friend is becoming a grumbling realist like me. Don't turn to the dark side!! It is a slippery slope to cynicism.