Tuesday, June 26, 2007

My Handsome Hero

Candace and I walk to the car, braving the 98 degree weather. It is so hot but the air conditioner is starting to kick in. Our perspiration begins to subside as we discuss which establishment we will grace with our meager budget. I ask Candace if she has ever eaten at B'Sghetti's. She says she loves Italian food so off we go. I drive as I imagine a race horse would run if he understood the money that was at stake. Finally, we arrive, the air conditioned restaurant is heaven! We order, both of us get the Torino combo meal, with a salad, mini spinach alfredo pizza and a drink. They are out of my favorite Sobe beverage (curses!) so I let them know and decide to use the women's facilities while I wait. The bathroom is through a door in a shared hallway with the neighboring office. All goes well, I wash my hands and walk back into the hallway. I expectantly put out my hand and try the lever to open the door...it is locked. What I wonder, locked? I try again, a little more frantic this time. Definitely locked. I look to the left and to the right, weighing my options. There is a door into Liberty Taxes that I try, it is also locked. To the right is an EXIT. I open the door only to realize that it is just a long and very dark hallway with a door at the end, what if that is locked too? Frantic, I begin knocking on the door, hoping someone will hear me. I laugh a little but only so I won't cry at the predicament I find myself in. I pound harder and listen...can't anybody hear me? Several minutes have passed, enough for Candace to wonder but not to worry and come looking. I knock some more, aware that it probably sounds like construction next door. Will I spend my entire lunch locked in a hallway? I jiggle the handle, kick the door and knock creatively, "maybe that won't sound like construction," I think out loud. Without warning...it opens. Handsome man in blue dress shirt and tie opens the door.

"The door was locked..." I struggle to hide my escalated emotions.

He looks at me, confused. I must look like an idiot. I explain what has happened as handsome just stares at me like I have cockroaches crawling out of my nose. Suddenly he understands, he smiles (oh and that smile),

"Well, I guess I will put a chair in front of the door then."

The moment is ruined, I walk back to an oblivious Candace, shoulders forward, ashamed.


"Sorry, I was locked in the bathroom..."

No comments: