Sunday, August 23, 2009

Worth it...?

Michelle asked me the other day if the idea of things being "worth it" was some how a part of the teachings of my church. She indicated that it was a phrase she often heard me use and while the concept was familiar, the words "worth it" were more commonly used by her LDS friends. After giving it a little bit of thought, I determined that we are taught from a fairly young age about trials and sacrifice, we are told "don't give up what you want in the long run for what you want now," we are encouraged to believe that there are things that we do that are hard because they are worth it in the long run. While I don't think the idea of "worth it" is founded in any doctrine of the church I do know that the concept in general is referred to in several ways relating to the gospel. Regardless...the idea of things being "worth it" is something that I weigh out constantly in my mind.

All things question: is the opportunity cost greater than the value of the opportunity? Do we not all evaluate all opportunities this way on a regular basis?

Is "it" worth it?
Maybe I want to have a bigger apartment with central air but I really hate moving...so is it worth it?
I really need to figure out how to make more money but I love my job. If I go back to school to get the next license I can increase my salary but I really, REALLY hate school. Is it worth it?
I love good food and I don't like going to the gym. I want my jeans to fit me when I pull them out for fall but that means going to the gym and eating less. Is it worth it?

Is "he" worth it?
Maybe he is really cute but not that smart. Do I want to sacrifice good conversation for good looks? Is he worth it?
I love his company but he is totally a flake? Is he worth it?
He is amazing, funny, attractive but not a member of the church? Is he worth it?

Am "I" worth it?
Lets be honest, the answer to this one is always yes but I am not always the one making the evaluation. People get to decide for themselves what sacrifices they are willing to make for you. How much of themselves they will give. How much you are worth an hour at your job...etc. It is difficult not to feel sometimes, "well, I guess I wasn't worth it."

2 comments:

Danielle Merket said...

I'm recalling those loreal commercials... "Because you're worth it!"

Snowwhite said...

I like your insights. Interesting to think about the different things that motivate us. We often want certain things but don't quite have the motivation. I am not quite motivated enough to lose weight, although I would like to be like I was before my pregnancy. But then I sometimes am motivated by trying to be healthy and eat less sugar, etc. and that helps in that effort.